Saturday 18 February 2012

My First Holga Photos


I have a new camera. My father left me a little money and I thought it was time to challenge myself . . . . something with interchangeable lenses. Interchangeable lenses means I can do more digital pinhole photography. After my initial experiments I knew this was exactly where I wanted to go. 

After a lot of research I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC G3, one of a new breed of cameras that has a light compact body but SLR capabilites . . . . delivered by the Four Third system. And best of all Holga does a lens that fits it . . .. lovely cheap shit bit of plastic that makes your high quality camera perform like a toy! Love the irony! The camera itself has so many bells and whistles on it that I lost patience with it and stuck the Holga lens on it just to try and get some pictures out of it.  Hmm, so crummy and dark . . .  the shot above as you can see came out all blue but hey, look what happens when you invert it in Photoshop . . . . .  awesome effect I'm sure you'll agree.



Here's another one taken indoors with some of the characteristic Holga vignetting round the edges.  . . . .





This one I used 'posterize' and then desaturated . . .  lots of fun and lots of possibilities.  The pros and cons of the camera I will post on at a further date. Like when I've finally managed to get through all the millions of ( totally unnecessary ) menus and worked out how to use the damm thing! One thing that is interesting is the aspect ratio . . .  these pictures are roughly 5x4" not the usual 6x4" and there are other settings which I have yet to try but I know one of them will give me a square picture!!! O.K, all I have to do is read the whole of the 208 page PDF of instructions. I may be some time . . . .


1 comment:

  1. Great Whitney! So much fun trying new things, exploring new possibilities. I love the blue one and also the edited one. All the photographs are wonderful.....

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...