Thursday 2 February 2012

Self Portrait Photography

 Fooling round with the camera trying to get a picture of my new haircut . .  . got two mirrors so I thought I'd try it that way first . . . .  mostly what you get is your camera and not much else . .  . .


a bit of positioning . . . I'm pretty short so I've got to make sure I get myself in the picture . . .  changed the camera setting because the sun went in . . .  a cold blueish white balance and gave the exposure a bit of a pop . . . . . defintely like this. Nothing done to these now except cropping



and then I began to be intruiged by the idea of this . . .  " in the moment" as my brother Achim Friederich ( v talented photographer ) says. Can I capture a moment of truth about myself here? I can do this when photographing other people but is it possible to be open and honest enough to do this with yourself? Or will the very fact that I am trying to do this spoil it? Can you catch your shadow or a glimpse of your soul?


Maybe I didn't quite but i had a lot of fun trying . . .  the one below is my favourite . . .  there's mischief in that beady eye!




  

Then try the other mirror . . . .  yes, I do know how to work the camera but I'm trying to see what I'll get while at the same time taking the picture. I love the restrictions of things like this, working within that to see what you can achieve. God, I look just like my Dad in this one . . . . I  simply desaturated this one, nothing more.



A bit more tweaking with levels to bring out some contrast but actually prefer the one above . . . hmm, need to think . . .  how to get better pictures, or rather more interesting pictures, how to get that honesty?

2 comments:

  1. I like the 4th one the best; maybe it's the slight turn of the head. you look beautiful in all of them. I can't take photos of myself at all, and hate for anyone else to, either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Whitney. I love to read and to see all the photos. I also love your haircut a lot, it intensifies your big blue eyes. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark and Share
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...